ILaaom Mission Statement
To provide advocacy and resources for Illinois practitioners of Oriental Medicine and to further the integrity of our profession.
1. To safeguard and promote the practice of acupuncture and Oriental Medicine through legislation.
2. To effectively market the profession of acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
3. To educate the public on the scope of acupuncture and Oriental Medicine as a complete medical system.
4. To support integration of acupuncture and Oriental Medicine into the health care system of Illinois.
5. To promote excellence in the profession by offering quality continuing education.
6. To collaborate with other state and national associations to further our profession.
To support our mission statement and work toward achieving these goals, ILaaom is at work on the following initiatives:
- To Uphold the highest professional ethics and standards.
- To Monitor, initiate, and support Acupuncture / Oriental Medicine legislation promoting the profession while protecting the safety of the public.
- To Achieve a broader scope of practice in Illinois for Licensed Acupuncturists.
- To Protect the public by promoting competency by Oriental Medicine practitioners
- To Promote third party insurance coverage and Medicare coverage for all Nationally Board Certified and licensed practitioners of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
- To Support clinical research verifying the effectiveness of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine.
- To Develop public relations campaigns to educate the public, insurance companies, and state and federal legislators not only about the benefits of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, but also the criteria for choosing a qualified practitioner.
- To Seek and promulgate the highest educational standards of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine in Illinois.
- To Promote and support continuing education of licensed acupuncturists by presenting conventions and seminars.
- To Work in conjunction with the World Health Organization to set educational criteria world-wide.
- To Provide a democratic forum for the profession.