The Illinois Association of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine is an approved CEU sponsor providing high quality continuing education classes for the Midwest Region. The Continuing Education Requirements for Illinois Acupuncturists are as follows:
1) Every licensee who applies for renewal or restoration of an acupuncturist license shall complete 30 hours of CE relevant to the professional skills and scientific knowledge of the licensee in the practice of acupuncture.
2) A pre-renewal period is the 24 months preceding June 30 of each odd-numbered year.
3) One CE hour shall equal one 60-minute clock hour with not less than 50 minutes of instructional content within the hour. 30 to 49 minutes of instructional content would be reported be as 0.5 CE hour and 50 to 60 minutes of instructional content would be reported as 1.0 CE hour.
4) A renewal applicant shall not be required to comply with CE requirements for the first renewal of an Illinois acupuncturist license.
5) Acupuncturists licensed in Illinois but residing and practicing in other states shall comply with the CE requirements set forth in this Section.
6) CE credit hours used to satisfy the CE requirements of another state may be applied to fulfill the CE requirements of the State of Illinois if they meet the requirements for CE in Illinois.
B. Approved Continuing Education Hours
2) A maximum of 23 hours of CE credit may be earned in a pre-renewal period for completion of self-study (including online, correspondence, audio or video) courses that are provided by a sponsor approved by the Division pursuant to subsection (c). Each self-study course shall include an examination that the licensee must pass to obtain credit.
3) A maximum of 30 hours of CE credit may be earned in a pre-renewal period for successful completion of post-graduate courses related to the clinical aspects of acupuncture at a school of acupuncture accredited by ACAOM or a similar accrediting body approved by the Division. CE credit will be allotted at the rate of 15 CE hours for each semester hour or 10 CE hours for each quarter hour of school credit awarded.
4) A maximum of 15 hours of CE credit may be earned in a pre-renewal period for verified teaching of coursework that is part of the curriculum of an acupuncture program accredited by ACAOM or a similar accrediting body approved by the Division and/or as an instructor of CE programs provided by a sponsor approved by the Division pursuant to subsection (c). Credit will be applied at the rate of 1.5 hours for each hour of teaching or presenting the course or program material and only for the first presentation of the course or program (i.e., credit shall not be allowed for repetitious presentations of the same program).
5) A maximum of 5 hours of CE credit may be earned in a pre-renewal period for completion of coursework that is part of the curriculum of an accredited college or university and/or for completion of CE programs in Illinois approved by the Division but not approved under this Part. The course or program material must be relevant to the professional skills and scientific knowledge of the licensee in the practice of acupuncture.
6) A maximum of 5 hours of CE credit may be earned in a pre-renewal period for authoring papers published in refereed professional journals or books.
For complete Illinois State CEU requirement information click here.
For information about continuing education requirements for NCCAOM re-certification click here.
Certificates of Attendance
Approved sponsors will provide certificates of attendance. Keep your certificates for at least five years. On the State of Illinois acupuncture license renewal application, you will be asked to certify that you have complied with the CEU requirement, but you will only need to submit your documentation if you are requested to do so by the Department of Professional Regulation.
CEUs earned in another state
If CEU hours are earned in another state from an unapproved sponsor, you are required to submit an out of state CEU approval form (can be obtained from http://www.ildpr.com/apply/Acupnt.asp) with a $25.00 processing fee prior to attending the program or 90 days prior to the expiration of your license.
If you fail to submit the out of state CEU approval form within the required time frame, you may obtain late approval by submitting the approval form plus $25.00 processing fee plus $10.00 per hour late fee, not to exceed $150.00. The Board of Acupuncture reviews these forms and recommends approval or disapproval of the program.